Sooooooooooooo, how do you stay productive within your job search? Don’t get left out in the cold…
- Reconnect with friends and colleagues… SEASONS GREETINGS and update them on your progress…
- Network with employed people: Get in the habit of this vital activity. Chapter meetings of your Professional Groups, trade shows. office parties, etc… networking is a contact sport!
- TAKE TIME to practice your verbal collaterals…
- MAKE TIME to learn new skills and productive activity: MSWord ‘Quick Parts,’ LinkedIn functionalities, etc
- Go shopping and spend time with family and friends…
- DE-STRESS regularly: EXERCISE! Walk your dog a mile a day, whether you have a dog or not!
- Dust off that bike you haven’t ridden in years, lubricate the gears… and take a ride!
- Write a white paper or two! Participate in LinkedIn Discussion Groups…
- Get into the habit of reaching out to second level contacts in LinkedIn and converting them to your FIRST Line.
- Host a coffee hour or HAPPY HOUR with neighbors… Enjoy this festive, GIVING time of the year!
AND NEXT YEAR? PLAN Ahead, mark your calendar:
Tuesday, January 6th… Bob is presenting at Dennis O’Hagen’s Group in Plano, St. Andrew’s Church
Thursday, January 8th… Closing The Deal II: Interview TACTICS, including POST-Offer negotiation
Thursday, January 15th… a TWO-FER: Let’s make this a FIELD TRIP… Bob is presenting first, at The Southlake Group… followed by the HEALTHCARE Networking Group in Grapevine.
Thursday, January 22nd… Embracing The OTHER Job Market: Overview of 12 Step Process and basic philosophies
Thursday, January 29th… Achieving CareerFIT: Assessment and building your communication strategy
Thursday, December 18th, we will meet as usual, focusing on Interview concepts and strategies, including MoneySpeak and interviewing–including a PRE-Offer Negotiation Approach. This stuff is worth your practice time in anticipation of that terrific offer you’ll get!
We meet at The Egg and I Restaurant (NW Quadrant of Arapaho and Montfort) in Addison. Come prepared to work on YOUR most difficult or challenging interview issues.
This week only…two for one: Immediately following the session, Bob will be driving over to Grapevine to present “Embracing the OTHER Job Market” to the Healthcare-oriented networking group. Please consider the ‘field trip.’
Please SHARE THIS POST with your network.
Who should attend?
- Those who want to perform more effectively in actual interviews–get to the offer!
- Those seeking a systematic, focused, more predictable way to conduct any interview and discussion of salary;
- “Regulars” who need a ‘booster shot.’… and bring a guest;
- New Comers and tire kickers… this is a great session with which to supplement your job search effectiveness!
THIS is what most job seekers call ‘an active job search…’ and is why this is STEP TEN in our Process. On Thursday, December 11th, we’ll focus on telephone skills/ scripting, call reluctance, and appropriate follow-up… all wrapped around your ‘value proposition’ for a specific job and networking your way to the decision-maker. This is a significant re-working of the significant strategies and models for this Core Topic… and a good place for new comers to start with DFWCAREERPILOT.
We meet at The Egg and I Restaurant in Addison, located 1 block east of the Dallas North Tollway. See Map on the right ==>
Research the company/position
- FOLLOW the Company on LinkedIn and use YOUR Network to get more contacts around the decision-maker.
- Research the company web site, looking for information relative to your function and level… a company’s financial and annual reports can provide clues to their stability and market share. Don’t forget directories, trade journals, the “business press,” and databases of articles and other news.
- Ask a friendly recruiter, business acquaintance or stockbroker what they know about the company… and by extension, call people with whom you have networked and ask what they know about the company and/or individual conducting the interview.
- Check with the local Chamber of Commerce or Better Business Bureau.
- Call the company directly; request a sales brochure, annual report or other company information. Companies have to market themselves, too, you know!
Please SHARE this Post with a friend or two that you think may benefit from the information and interaction…
Come prepared to practice your telephone presence. YOUR “PRE-session HOMEWORK” is to increase your first level contact list on LinkedIn by TEN NEW individuals… and add ONE NEW GROUP to those you have already chosen.