The leading cause of long job searches is low marketability or like-ability…Rather it is the lack of ACCOUNTABILITY to appropriate time management and regular implementation of productive activities. That said, what are YOU going to DO about it?
At the end of the day, the significant developmental issue, here, is to develop your own sense of SELF-Accountability… it really doesn’t matter whether you do this as part of a team, or part of a partnership, or even by yourself if you have the prerequisite knowledge, self awareness, and DISCIPLINE.
This Week’s Session, Thursday, January 3rd at 8:45 AM… UNDERSTANDING The OTHER Job Market…An exploration of why activity in this parallel marketplace is critical to overcoming common challenges of job search in the more traditional marketplace.
This is not for the feint of heart. Most job-seekers miss the accountability of time management and commitment to specific, result-oriented activities that employers instill in you.
TOP TIPS: Creating EFFECTIVE Accountability
Create a Goals Worksheet/ TEMPLATE… You’ve heard the cliché “What Gets Measured Gets DONE.” Very true for jobseekers who put themselves ‘out there’ on their own. Work SMART at your job search PLAN…
Specific time and activity goals for each process prep and implementation step. Measurable goals so that progress can be analyzed and diagnosed Actionable goals that allow you to ‘own’ your job search accomplishments Realistic goals that are attainable on an average, weekly basis… and keep them Timely.
Have goals that are time-specific to keep you moving FORWARD!
- Choose your PARTNER or TEAM Members wisely… your sense of accountability is built when you can be open and honest with each other during your scheduled sessions. There’s no room for negativity.
- Have a set STRUCTURE of what will occur during each session. I encourage each meeting to start with a brief practice of verbal collateral, followed by a reporting of last week’s ‘numbers.’ Identify obstacles to your progress, requesting specific ‘help’ as appropriate. Commit to next week’s numbers. Close with an open and frank discussion aimed at removing obstacles… including action plans!
- Keep your Group’s Membership and attendance consistent. Remember, these sessions can be effective with anywhere from 2 to 10 Members.
- Create a hard copy binder with a tab for each Member… contents should be everyone’s tracking sheet, current resume, and a business card (several might be useful). Each Member is in this TOGETHER.
- Generate a sense of TEAMSMANSHIP… Give yourselve’s a NAME. Create some sort of reward system for the week’s most contributive or successful Member.
- Build EARLY SUCCESS by inviting a skilled and experienced facilitator for your first few meetings… then carry-on with a personal accomplishment of helping each other with resolution and action plans to overcome all obstacles.